Monday, October 12, 2009

Winter Training... Where to go...

This time of year is always spent working on this offseason's plan. There is a lot of info out there on how to train and what works best. My interest is to find the best plan to max out my potential while minimizing time away from the family.


Last offseason, my two main objectives were as follows:


1) Minimize trash miles... otherwise known as recovery miles. My plan was to never do any workouts (nor intervals) over threshold (no lactic acid)... and never do easy workouts... L1... recovery workouts. I would always push L3 for every minute I was on the road. This is the area where the most bang for the buck is realized on the bike. L4 and harder workouts usually require recovery and therefore the physiological adaptions realized from such workouts come at a greater price. The graph below explains it best. I am talking about sweet spot training. Strain is minimized while training effect is maximized.

So, my thought was... if I only have 10 hours per week to train... it is winter which means that a steady diet of hard L3 work could be tolerated... couldn't I train there all the time and sit up when I get too tired to keep it up?

2) Grow CTL (Chronic Training Load) to highest point I could without overtraining. I wanted to hit 110 which seemed like as good a number as any. The truth is... this can only get so high on 10-12 hours per week, but I gave it a try.

So... what happened last winter and how did it workout this past season?

I really achieved both of my goals stated above. I rode L3 all the time and really cut down on trash miles. I did one L4 workout each week and took off one day each week. I got sick three times (always during intense training periods) and learned a few things about that. I increased CTL around 4 points a week and tried not to step back weeks (but would get sick just in time for a needed step back). I think I hit around 105 CTL... cant really trust all of that data, but I was riding a good bit and mostly around L3.

How did it workout for the season? Well... different story. I decided to crash diet coming in so that I could get really light before the races. I dropped weight quickly when I stopped eating... down to 174 from where I had been for a while (182). I am pretty sure now, based on what I have been reading, that the calorie deficit and the increased training intensity and load in February and March led to overtraining. How else can I explain the huge disinterest in cycling that happened in April and May. I starting running again... I think that says enough. I trained my tail off for 5 months looking forward to nothing but racing, through rain and cold, and 3 weeks into the season with beautiful weather I decide that I want to get off the bike and rest for a while. It makes no sense. I lost all of my form with 4 weeks of foolishness and never got back to where I was as far as form.

I will spend the next week studying my data from last winter and determining where to go with this information. I will not be crash dieting... that I am sure of...

1 comment:

Daniel said...

how is the winter training coming along? do you ride on rollers? thats a good bang for your buck for time effective training sessions!