Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February Update

Just got back from our yearly training camp. Horrible weather but a good time to catch up with the guys on the team. And guess what? I still suck in the mountains. I suck so much that I actually look forward to going so that I can enjoy riding around here so much more. I never felt comfortable on a climb and we didn't do many. All rides were cut short or didn't happen due to icy roads. I did ride my bike in the snow for the first time...

I have ventured into L3/L4 training this month and a little in January. I am doing all tests and all notable workouts in the drops or on the TT machine. I have noticed a big increase in power when in an aero position. I am more convinced than ever that this will be a notable improvement come race time. My FTP seems to be moving sharply upward over the last few weeks and I expect this to continue through the month and taper off pretty quick.

I am more fresh than ever at this time of year. There is no question about that. Even though I have been riding the same number of hours and my FTP seems to be nearly what it was last year at this time, I did very little L4 this off season and really didn't nail the L3 until lately. I did a 40 minute L4 workout every week of the off season last year... no matter what. I really never understood how much mental and physical energy I was putting into these workouts. I did everyone like it was a do or die effort for every single watt... rather than just aiming for 90-100% of my FTP the week before, I would treat each one like a TT... a 40 minute TT. I would do them on Tuesdays and I would start thinking about the next one on Thursday or so. I didn't realize it until now, but I was racing every single week. Sure, it was just racing myself, but I was really racing the power meter... if I was under where I was the week before I would be upset... elation for the opposite. All of this drama dealt up a nice burnout for me in April last year... yes, I said April...

It looks like I will be racing the first three weekends of March. I cant hardly wait...