Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lightbulb On!

It just occurred to me after posting the below post, that I am being a little too hard on myself (not much, but a little). I have been so disappointed in my power numbers in comparison to my old numbers, but I did not think of the mathematics of the issue...

My old threshold was around 314 Watts. My new left leg threshold as reported by the ergomo is maybe around 255 or 260 Watts. I had told myself that this is a 60-70 watt difference in what my left leg is able to produce, but it really is not. Since ergomo takes your left leg wattage and doubles it, the numbers are closer than they appear since only half that number is produced by the left leg anyway.

If my threshold measures at 260 Watts on my screen, than my left leg is putting out 130 Watts. My right leg only had a 2.5 week break and has been working really hard ever since I got back on the bike. I would not be surprised to find that my right leg is putting out 300 Watts for FTP or 150 Watts with a right leg only measurement tool. Add those together and my actual FTP is closer to 280 Watts in a race... not good, but not too bad.

I know this will be obvious to everyone, but for some reason I was using the double number in my mind when thinking of how bad my left leg sucks... I don't have to make up 60-70 watts, only 30-35 Watts... that sounds much better...

No comments: