Monday, July 14, 2008

Racer's Edge...

Yes, I have lost it. I cant remember the last time my legs felt good. Actually, I can... it was the first day of the hard training block I embarked on prior to vacation... the one where I pulled my back out. Since then, I have been on dead legs... either tired from a hard workout, or lethargic from a day off, or something else...

When I wrecked out and fractured my femur, I decided to schedule a few adventure races with my team at work. Even though I had started an Adventure Racing Team with the guys at work before we ever dreamed up a local cycling team, I had decided coming into this year to only race on my bike. I wanted to be 100% focused on a great inaugural season with our newly formed race team... 100% focused on riding the road bike as well as I could.

Coming into the best form of my life, I wreck and killed my form... I didn't decide to abandon the bike... I jumped back on it while still on crutches and worked my tail off trying to keep up with whoever I could find. I did, whoever, decide that maybe an adventure race or two toward the end of the race season would be a good fallback plan if my cycling form did not rage back.

Whether the form is here or not remains to be seen... I am participating in two adventure races coming up... a four hour adventure race in Macon followed a week later by a twenty-four hour adventure race in Woodstock, Ga. I have gone out on the mountain bike (first time in 8 months) and on my feet (running- first time in 14 months), and it has been a weird run. I was sore for 5 days after a 3.4 mile run... not exactly normal. My mountain bike skills were very rusty, but I held my own out there.

I rested today and will go out for Tuesday Worlds tomorrow. I hope that the training I did one month ago will kick in tomorrow and give me strong, fresh legs. If not, I will not despair... I will look forward to the races I have upcoming and get ready to compete.

No comments: