Monday, July 7, 2008

Return from vacation...

I am now back in Macon. The following is an update on the last week of training...

Ate and drank way too much... gained 10 lbs of water weight from fried food and booze. Both kids got sick so I also didn't get much sleep. I stumbled out to all the group rides that I went on with the dazed look of a college student on spring break who had to meet his parents for a midweek breakfast.
  • The actual training was OK, though. My legs were a little tired from the hard training block... I decreased distance/duration over the past week and a half, but added 1 minute intervals and did a few 5 minute interval sessions. All of them were productive...
  • I got worked by a few of the flatlanders I ran into. I think they were working against me... I am certain that the pro guy was working against me. Everytime I would come off a big pull, he found his way quickly to the front and blasted the pace up over 30 mph, then the group would tighten up and no one would let me in as I went back through the line of 7-8 riders... even though only 3 of them planned on doing any work... it was weird and it hurt. I was forced to jump on the tail end and then work back up in the wind when I wanted to work again.
  • I think the new bike and racing kit is working against me... I always enjoyed being underestimated on my crappy bike and solid jerseys... they never saw me coming and when I rode well... they didn't mind so much. Now, I am afraid, it is the exact opposite. I look the part, but I really suck...

No comments: