Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Ride Comparisons...

This off-season, more than last one, has had me concerned that I am not training properly. I have really been going it alone this time. Last year, I made it to a lot more of the Peach Peloton rides... rode the attack zones... long hours in the saddle. The hours have been the same this year, but the attack zones have not. I think things will work out, but it does not stop me from constantly comparing rides from last year versus this year during the same time period.

I was searching for a good comparison with the ride from yesterday. I knew that I had felt tired after this ride and therefore wondered if I had a similar effort last year at this time. I came across this ride (see table) from the middle of February last off season. It really didn't have anything to do with what I was looking for, but I couldn't help but to smile... what a difference a month makes. Less junk miles (I said this for you, Robert) this season... I have been focused on that this year... I only want to be in Active Recovery (AR) on Mondays (my off day). Endurance zone minutes are almost identical. Almost double the time in the Tempo zone and am higher in the Threshold zone also. That is where things go the other way... big time. A whopping 22 minutes anaerobic... and 19 minutes in the VO2 Max Zone.

Over the next month, my program will shift with a much heavier concentration on VO2 max and Anaerobic Zones. Months of holding back will finally be released and my NP will start to swing upward in a big way. I just hope it is not too late...

No comments: