Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good week... Build Phase Continues...

Workouts have been great this week. I am trying to push my CTL above 100 for the first time ever and I really only need 3-4 solid weeks to do it. Ironically, this 3-4 week session will culminate in our team's training camp in North Georgia.

Sunday- recovered from several hard rides over the new year and rode the TT bike for an hour... took it easy and played with my position when I got back. More on that later...

Monday- Off... thanks to work...

Tuesday- I did 5x5s again and really slugged out 5 tough ones... felt weak, but survived with my goal wattage of 110% FTP. I doubled up workouts today and went out to the Tuesday edition of the Bass Pro Shops ride. Some guys from the team and a few others do a 5 minute loop with one hill and go round and round for an hour or so. I have found these workouts to be a little too aggressive on the hill for my program this time of year, but perfect for a quick TSS boost- maybe I will do one every other week for the next 4 and then open it up out there when my anaerobic phase kicks into gear. If I have ever ridden a NP buster, this ride is it... I rode with them for 45 minutes and realized that my NP was 15 Watts above threshold but I still felt fine. That told me that it must be a NP buster for sure...

Wednesday- Sweet Spot workout... I did that same workout I have done before. It is not a recovery workout, but it is also not overly tough... you are glad the intervals are over, but sad that the ride is over. I don't know how else to explain the ride better than that. 14 minutes warmup- 6 min at 90% FTP (or SS or Sweet Spot)- 3 minutes L2- 7 minutes SS- 2 minutes L2- 8 minutes SS- 1 minute L2- 9 minutes SS- L2 till you finish your hour... nice ride and a good way to get a little TSS when you are not motivated...

Thursday- Bass Pro ride... I needed to do sprints, so I would ride the hill easy and let the group get away, and then try to sprint back into the group. Sometimes I judged it right... sometimes I didn't. I tried to make a good 15 second sprint and catch them right at the top of the hill. If I missed them, I would not chase but rather sit up and wait at the next break in the median for them to come by... then I would sprint to catch on the back as they went by (at 30 mph with a 15 mph tailwind). I liked this workout better than my other sprint workout... it is better to have people to sprint after...

That gets me up to speed... I would like to have a 120 TSS workout tomorrow and log around 7 hours in the saddle between Saturday and Sunday. If I can muster 70 TSS per hour (could be tough), I will hit 95 CTL by Sunday...

No comments: