Saturday, January 3, 2009

This Weeks Rundown...

Started the week still feeling the lingering effects of the virus I had late last week. I wanted to be cautious this week, but knew that I needed to push the training as much as possible. With a holiday week, I knew I would have the time to do it if I could find the energy.

Hit a good hour and a quarter ride on Monday to start things off. I had a decent training weekend last week considering the state of things, but not enough that I really needed an off day on Monday. I have realized that I need to train when I have the chance, because life and weather seem to make things difficult much of the winter and the last thing I need is more off days. I took Tuesday off... still trying to be cautious and thinking that it would allow me to open up for the next couple of workouts.

Wednesday was my first day of 5x5s... five minute intervals and I do five of them... each one is done on a hill that takes five minutes to climb exactly and I do them at 110% FTP. My legs felt a little rough during warmup and I had a very hard time working through these intervals. I only did 4 and then decided to head for home... there was a terrible wind and it was getting late on New Years Eve and I thought I would not push my luck riding in traffic on that night. The intervals were really miserable and I remember thinking that 110% was not enough last year to make things really hurt. For some reason, they are hurting this year for sure. Maybe it will take a couple of weeks to get on top of them...

Thursday I did a 40 minute FTP. This is my first one in a while... missed last week due to sickness and the week before, I did a TT position FTP in the Cave of Pain. I got up to 325 in the first 5 minutes and opened it up from there. The legs felt great and it was obvious that my stomach was better and my energy was back. I was thinking as I hit 330 average around 12 minutes in that this would easily be a record setting day. I was right and wrong. I was right in that I ended up at 331 Watts. I was wrong because I had to work as hard as I can imagine to hold on to that until the bloody end. It was a true sufferfest that you block out shortly after it is over. I added an hour ride on the back end of it to top off the day...

Friday- I went out with Tom and Dave on a very energetic ride. We did 50 and my legs were really great... did some very hard efforts and had fun on the bike until the rain hit. Rode the last 45 minutes in the rain and was not dressed warmly enough. It was really miserable for one reason or another... it was the end of a long ride... I was tired... I don't know... it just hurt... 200 TSS ride... really nice overall...

Saturday- went out for a 5 hour ride at 7:00... it was way to foggy so we waited until 8:00 to start. It was wet and a little cold and a little rainy. Legs were tired, but we kept the pace at a good medium/low L3 and worked for a few hours. The rain started again and again I was underdressed. We called it quits at around 3.5 hours and 170 TSS. It was plenty for the day... my legs were tired and I felt like I should be careful not to do too much in the cold rain for fear of getting sick...

A few things...

I pissed myself for the first time while riding today (Saturday). I was terribly cold and tired... and it was pouring rain. Four thoughts entered my head...
  1. My bladder is about to explode...
  2. If I stop, my legs will not want to get back moving...
  3. I am on a major highway and it will be difficult to find a good spot...
  4. Pee is warm and will drizzle down my legs and hopefully warm me up...

Item 4 really sealed it and let me tell you, it did not disappoint. I let 'er rip without even slowing down... it was a little weird... there were cars all around and I kept thinking that they could see what I was doing. Anyway, I don't plan to make it a habit, but, in the future, if you are behind me and it is cold and raining, I would recommend you attack...

Overall... a really great week... I will probably do an hour on my TT bike tomorrow to seal the week... CTL is up over 90... I hope to hit 100 by the time I get out of the build phase of my program...

No comments: