Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Depression and Bitterness...


I should have never lost the tough guy routine. Look what happens when you let your guard down...

On a training ride this past Saturday, I hit a patch of sand/pea gravel (perfectly positioned in the apex of the turn and around 4 inches deep) and went down. Robert wrecked in front of me and by the time I saw what happened to him, I was down. It was the slickest stuff I have ever hit on my bike and my entire front end went out with no warning. I did not skid at all... I hit straight down on my left hip, knee and elbow. Besides a lot of road rash, I fractured my greater trochanter which is the bony protrusion of my femur at my hip. It is very painful because the bony protrusion serves as a tie in point for many muscles and tendons so any movement of my left leg causes pain in the fracture.

Obviously, I am very disappointed... I was riding into the best form of my life. I would have peaked in two to three weeks based on my training program schedule and I was very excited, based on the slope of my improvement since the build cycle, to see where that peak would have been. I will now try not to be a baby, sit on my ass for four weeks, weep when no one is watching, and start the rebuilding process.

I have already started to research my retraining plan and it looks like I will need around 4 weeks off with a 7-8 week retraining cycle. Luckily, the guy (Howe) that laid out the training program I followed all winter, also laid out a "recover from injury" program for a 28 day break from training due to injury. Yes, I know, it sounds a little too coincidental, but it is true. With this plan, I would be back in form for the Tour of Atlanta and only miss one race that I had planned to do... the Athens GC and crit. Not to say that I cant do those races... I will just be out of shape...

Anyway, I will be out of pocket for a while with nothing to report... I will be having a nice pity party each and every day... you are all invited...

No comments: