Monday, March 10, 2008

Race Week... Perry Roubaix...

Recap of the last week or so...

Took off the day after Albany and then had three hard workouts in a row. One was an interval workout (8x1min... around 475Watts)... the next one, an old cycling friend came in town and we took turns killing each other for 1:15... the next one, I took the TT bike out with the lunch group and hammered for 1:15. All of these were better than 100 TSS. At first, I felt fine and energized for more work, but by weeks end, I felt a little beat down. I went out Saturday in some of the worst weather of the winter (20 mph wind with 30 mph gusts... oh, also below 40 degrees) and only mustered a 2 hour ride. Sunday, I went out on the TT Bike with a new position (a little more aero than my first set up)... I felt like I compromised a little comfort and a little power, but I think it is workable... I did that for around 45 minutes... Then me and the lunch boys rode 45 in windy conditions... my legs were dead during and after this ride. They are still sore and I dont really know why. I think that maybe the hard efforts of early last week and the race weekend caught up with me at once. I was remarkably unaffected by the races... my legs never felt tired, but they do now.

OF NOTE: I checked my power files to see if the numbers would tell me why I felt fried. They didnt, but I do notice one thing. My legs seem to be around a week behind my workouts. If my TSB goes above 0... up to maybe +10, my legs feel good... but they feel great if I stay above 0 for a little while... maybe 4-5 days... that is when I really feel strong. Maybe the same goes for big efforts. I was able to put in six- 1 hour or longer, above-threshold workouts over 6 days and perform them all with intensity. I am now taking around 4 days to recover (while riding each of those days in a lackluster fashion).

Either way, I am still not in race/peak phase... I have got to remember that and continue making progress toward that part of the season. Even as strong as I felt in Albany, it was only a B race for me... the true test is yet to come...

Group rides start tomorrow. This will be a time to test the racing legs weekly against some of the best racers in Georgia. Everyone will come out with the guns blazing tomorrow and I will do the same. I figure that I will watch what happens and have fun... these are meant to be training rides and I will ride them that way... it will be some nice midweek TSS to add into the schedule any way you look at it.

This Week...
Monday- Off today
Tuesday- Worlds
Wednesday- Tempo to L2 (80 TSS) and TT practice (on Perry course)
Thursday- Microinterval workout
Friday- off
Saturday- 10 mile TT and 25 mile crit
Sunday- 50 mile RR

More about the upcoming race to follow later...

No comments: