Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gainesville Circuit and Crit...

The day started with a 30 mile circuit race... rolling course with two tough, quick climbs that dwindled down the field pretty quick. We had around 20 in our race. Tried to get a break going in a big way on the second lap, but the group kept nailing us back... I raced very aggressive the whole time. I have been sprinting well lately, so I didn't want to work too much on the last lap and instead save up for the end. There was a right turn at the top of the second climb and then around 3 k to the finish... all slightly uphill (2%) and an uphill finish (2-3%)...

This is not ideal for me for a sprint, and the group seemed to hit the first climb hard and sit on the second, so I decided that I would attack on the second half of the second hill and try to hold out the next 3 K for the finish. I nailed it on the hill at the perfect time... killed the corner and buried it for 1K before I looked back. Had a 10 second split with two guys bridging. Bad news... head wind. I knew it before, but still liked the plan. The guys bridged, but refused to come around. The group caught us at .750 K and would not come around me. I dropped my power to below threshold, but feared letting up too much, because if an attack came from behind, I wouldnt be able to follow. I kept slowing and no one would come around... I probably should have gone again there, but I was gassed. They were content to stay on my wheel to 200 meters where the sprint started and I jumped also... first three came by quick, but I got up to speed OK and got nipped at the line for fourth... I got 5th.

It was a good result, but I was a little disappointed. I had great legs and I really think I could have podiumed if I would have sat in and sprinted at the end, but that is bike racing. I set some 3-6 minute power records on the run into the finish, so I am not surprised that my sprint wasnt at its best.

Legs were a little busted on the crit... tough effort and stayed in the front too much. There was a strong wind and I was sitting 2nd wheel through the first half of the race... not far enough back to stay completely out of the wind, but I didnt realize how much work I was doing until it was too late. Stayed in the mix, but lacked power on the last lap to stay in up front for the sprint... it was a very sketchy lead in so maybe I lost my guts some too, but live to race another day. Looking back at the files, it looks like I put in a good effort, so I am pleased. I think I got 15th or so with a pack finish...

Looks like I am going to race on Wednesday at Road Atlanta... 20 mile crit course... cannot wait...

No comments: