Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thoughts on Lance...

Kind of sad for me today. I was really hoping that LA was going to kill 'em. The worst part is that I think both of us were hoping that (me and Lance). He just didn't have it... a lot more than most might think. I wasn't surprised that he didn't go with Contador... that guy obviously had a kick that no one had... it was sick. I was surprised when Andy Schleck attacked and LA didn't sit on him. You could rationalize that he was riding defensively and was at the time marking other riders that were closer to him. But when Frank Schleck and the others attacked, the only move for LA was to follow. From a team tactic standpoint, it would be imperative... he should sit on Frank's wheel in case he bridged to his brother and in case they both bridged to his teammate. I mean, Frank can climb, but come on. Even Kloden was able to release from LA in the end to pick up a few seconds. Thank God that Levi was not there. To watch him out accelerate LA on a climb of the TdF would be more than I could handle.

They always say to go out on top and I have never agreed with that until now. Seinfeld did it. I disagreed when they did. But now I see what they mean... it is really tough because I could see the disappointment on LA's face in the closing interview. He really believed that he might surprise even himself on that day... that the TdF, and the high mountains, and the passion, and the love, and the Giro, and the training, and the 7 time winner, and all the fans on the road,and all that would come together and he would attack and it would be like the days of old and he would rip the legs off the best in the world. Instead I am left thinking of the creased face and aged eyes of the guy conceding leadership to another...

I am going to watch some Seinfeld reruns tonight and celebrate their decision... maybe they were right, because their last stuff was the best...

No comments: