Wednesday, July 1, 2009

New Stuff...

Raced in two great races this past weekend... A 21 mile Team Time Trial and a Road Race in a City called Dacula near Atlanta.

The TTT was on a rolling course on country roads with three open turns. The race was based solely on age and only 4-man teams were allowed. We raced in the 140-180 cumulative years division. We only practiced once and had a lot of variability in riding styles across our team, but we really felt good that we could race this thing well. We ended up winning our division and averaging 29.77 mph over the course with four guys. I have felt better on the bike, but considering that I have not touched the TT bike for 6 months I was very pleased...

The RR was a ball buster. Extremely hilly and unbelievably hot. My legs were a little fried from the TTT effort earlier that day and I decided to stay in the pack and feel it out. We were doing 6 laps for a total of 39 miles I think. I drove the course beforehand and immediately regretted riding the TTT that morning. It was not a course that favors me to say the least. The race started and I actually felt really good. I stayed near the front and the climbs were no sweat. The attacks started on the second lap. I saw a couple of riders that I know are strong attack and I couldn't help but to bridge and give it a run. After 1.5 laps in a break we had around 45 seconds on the field. After going around a turn, I stood to jump back on the back of the guy in front of me and my calf seized up a little. That turned a lot worse over the next two hills to the point that I could no longer stand without it cramping full. Finally, I had to slow down to work out the cramp... I lost the break and then lost the chase... shortly after, I had to retire as I couldn't put out over 150 watts without the cramp coming hard. Pissed... I think that this break would have made it... it was too hot for anyone to want to chase, but I could not hang on...

No comments: