Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Anaerobic Phase Begins...

Today was my first workout in the anaerobic phase. I will be here for three weeks... it is a place that I have blocked out of my mind over the last three months. It is a place that I really enjoy. It is here where real suffering is... it is the burn that we cyclist love to hate and hate to love.

I never thought that I would forget the feeling, but today was like smelling a grill in the spring or like visiting your old highschool... I just couldnt help but think of racing. I thought about the group rides around here... where you can cut the suffering with a knife... where you lay it all on the line to stay on the back of the group... then progress to stay in the group... then progress to work with the group... then progress to attack the group... and one day, maybe leave the group (if some of the best guys move away from here)... that is the growth of the cyclist.

Yes, today I enjoyed lactic acid flooding my musles and it hurt and felt good. After 8-1 minute intervals, I was tired but I could not help but to attack my riding partners from work and arrive back to the office alone. I dont know why I did it... it just happened... I think I have already forgotten this past weekend... I think I am back. Not that leaving the work cycling group is very difficult, that is not the point. The point is that spring is here... anaerobic is here... there are no more thoughts of holding back... there are no thoughts or concerns of hindering aerobic development... anyway... I am out of breath...

Today was good. I thought I would go by the book and set my goal today for eight-one minute intervals at 150% of FTP or 450 Watts. I felt too good for that. I did some over 500Watts with one as high as 535Watts. I think I averaged 475Watts across the eight. Not to bad and I am energized for more. I think I will try to hold 500 Watts across the board next time. I will be doing these 3 times a week for the next three weeks. My schedule will go as follows...

Monday- OFF
Tuesday- 10x1 min at 150-200% FTP
Wednesday- L2 for 1 hour
Thursday- 10x1 min at 150-200% FTP
Friday- L3 for 1 hour
Saturday- 10x1 min at 150-200% FTP with 1 hour L2
Sunday- Endurance

Cheers!