Sunday, February 24, 2008

Inlaw Afterburner...

My wife planned a birthday get-together for her Dad in Madison, Ga. When this happens, she will usually throw me a bone so that I will not be a baby about going... I can ride there or home or both depending on the distance we are traveling. This situation was no different, so I decided to ride home from Madison on Saturday. There was a 10-14 mph wind working to the N-NW, so I knew that it would be a tough day, but I love a point to point ride on roads that I have never ridden.

The best part of the trip... I was up against a time limit if I were to make it home before dark... I needed to ride 70 miles with no stops at 19 mph or else it would get dark on me. I set out with the general goal of averaging greater than 20 mph, regardless of the headwind...

The wind did not seem bad at first... it was mostly a cross wind and did not feel too bad. By the end of the ride, I had really started to feel it. For the past two weekends, my stamina and power output seem to drop at 3 hours in... I am training to ride much further, if the pace is moderate, but if I push it... it appears that I can only put out strong for 3 hours before a performance dropoff. At close to three hours in, I checked my stats... NP- 256 Watts, AP- 236 Watts, Average Speed- 20.2 mph... and the decline began...

I did what I could to maintain this effort, but dropped off in the last 30 minutes. I ended up with 70 miles and average fo 20.1 mph... not bad considering the conditions... and I had done a 1 min interval workout on Friday night in the rain...

No comments: