Monday, February 11, 2008

Training Camp...

The truth of the matter is that we dont always know why things happen in cycling. Sometimes you just have a bad day. Sometimes, after months of focus and preparation, the day that you have been thinking about and looking forward to throughout the long miles of winter, ends up a little lackluster.

Should I be surprised that I got whipped by a few guys that are 40 lbs lighter than me in the mountains? No, I shouldn't and am not. Should I be surprised that I got whipped by a bunch of guys that are my weight? Maybe not surprised, but definitely disappointed. Saturday was not a great day for me.... I got dropped on every climb by guys that I had hoped to be equal to coming into this season. I really did not feel right all day...

Was it the saddle height that I adjusted the day before and was still tinkering with on Saturday? Was it the fact that my body was fighting sickness that showed itself as a cold/sore throat on Saturday night through today? Was it that the guys on my team have really benefited from the long rides and attack zones that I have missed out on many weekends this winter? Has my killer instinct been lulled to sleep during a winter season where every waking minute is a rush to balance two kids (one newborn), a wife, a career, and 10+ hours a week on the bike?

I dont know, but I do know one thing. I would rather be a surprise... I would rather over-perform come race time. I would rather shock my teammates and surprise them in a good way when I exceed expectations. All I can say after this weekend... if this were my strategy... things are definitely proceeding according to that plan... I have set a low standard in my team's mind for my fitness and strength... I now have to work to redeem myself...

The only redeeming thing (other than a fun weekend where I got in some good rides with a great team) is that my power meter showed that it was me that wasnt putting out. My numbers were atrocious... really bad. On the two climbs where we decided to compete, I put out 280W and 240W. These are not 2 hour climbs... they were 15 minute climbs. I would have expected to be at or above threshold on both and I could not put out the power. I could not push the pedals...

Anyway, onward to the season... nowhere to go but up...

No comments: