Sunday, February 3, 2008

Training Camp Preview

We have training camp this coming weekend. We will be going as a team up to Chattanooga, TN for a weekend long retreat with our newly formed team. We will ride 50 miles Friday, 90-100 on Saturday, and 50 on Sunday. After this effort, my CTL will hit 94 and will be the highest it will get this offseason.

I am a little disappointed in this... I wanted to hit 110 because I read that elite/professional cyclists should be at 110 or higher after the build phase. I think I will be OK since I am not elite nor am I professional, but it still makes me question, "how much is enough?". I slowed up a couple weeks ago due to a hamstring/calf/back of knee pain that came out of the blue and put me down for a few days. The pain was not severe, but I could not go full power and I knew I needed to back off a bit. I was on an upward surge at the time, had dropped the easy week from my program and was increasing a steady 4 CTL points per week when it happened... I was around 92 TSS/day when it started.

I got rid of it with anti-inflammatories and haven't felt pain at all since then... until today. Not bad, it just let me know that it was not fully healed. A racing cyclist is always on the edge of injury or sickness, or they are not pushing hard enough. I do believe this, but really wanted to take it easy this offseason... it just didnt work out that way... I am a slave to the graphs!!!!!

No comments: