Thursday, June 12, 2008

5 Minutes of Pain

I did some 5 minute intervals today. I did 4 repeats on a long hill in Macon... it has a few false flats that make it hard to hold the wattage, but it works better than anything else I have found.

I averaged 340 Watts, 342 Watts, 333 Watts, and 330 Watts in the four intervals. This is very near where I was the last time I did these things in February (I think it was Feb). I was pleased with the effort, but recognized something very real from the workout...

I am not used to suffering. This winter, I did FTP and sprint workout all winter and then moved into 5 minute and 1 minute intervals. There was never a week that I did not have a really tough workout (mentally and physically). I now realize that for the last 8 weeks, I have been very satisfied sitting in and making excuses. The burn I felt today was different and woke me up to the weak outputs over the last few weeks. Mentally, I am using my injury as a scapegoat to keep from working over the edge...

I must keep these intervals going... even if they don't raise my threshold, they will raise my mental toughness and we all know that will make me faster than threshold...

No comments: