Thursday, June 19, 2008

5x5s...

Painful is really all you can say about a 5 minute interval. At three minutes you think it has been six already and now you have two minutes left... and you remember how long your 1 minute intervals feel and realize that you have two times that left to put this interval in the past.

I started today on the same hill that I always do 5 minute intervals. It is really steep for the first 45 seconds of the route and then flattens to around 1-2% and holds it there the rest of the way. I start from a standstill at the base of the hill so that I can get as much time as possible out of the steep. In the past, I always finish the 5 minutes right at the gas station... right at the end of the road. I think there was one day where I had to stop 3 seconds early to keep from having to make the turn. It was a good day that day and maybe the wind was favorable...

Now, my ergomo sucks... we all know that by now and I cant trust anything it says (what a horrible existence)... I guess that it is registering 15-30 Watts high right now. I rip off the first interval at 385 Watts... way to high but I am not surprised... but wait! I get to the gas station, look down... I have 15 seconds left of the interval! There was a tail wind, but it is still the fastest I have ever climbed that hill and I am trying to let myself think that I am getting very strong. I know that is not really the case, but it does make me feel better. I repeated again and hit 380 Watts. The following three went downward quickly... I hit the first two too hard and really paid for it. I ended up with a 365W, a 355W, and a 340 Watt to finish the day. The normalized power for the total workout was 297 Watts.

It was a good workout and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a problem with the ergomo. On my best day this spring, I could only muster a 345 Watt effort (my fourth... I built up to that from 325 Watts that day). I know I was stronger then than I am now. No way I put out 35 Watts more today on two. The good news... I scheduled an appointment with the ergomo doctor today... All3Sports in Atlanta is the real deal... those guys really know ergomo and said that they would work me in on Monday... AWESOME!!!! The thoughts of no power for my entire vacation... I don't think I could relax...

No comments: