Friday, June 27, 2008

SURPRISE!!!

I am sure you are very excited... I actually have a wireless connection in my condo down here, so there will be plenty of blogging time...

I found a way to make 5x5s feel longer. Do them on completely flat roads with no wind.

I did five yesterday... the numbers were actually pretty good... all five between 340 Watts and 360 Watts. My legs were a little numb from the workload of the past week, but good overall. It is a long five minutes when you are doing intervals at 25 mph on your hoods... I think the distance covered in each interval makes it feel long. Either way, it was a good effort.

OK... a fun story...

As always when I travel, I call the local bike shop to see if there are any local rides to join. I have ridden these rides down here (Cocoa Beach- we have been coming down here for 25 years as a family) and there are some good riders and good rides. The local shop tells me that there are some rides BUT... the big question comes out... "but, what kind of rider are you?"...

Here is the conversation...

Me: I ride hard... an experienced rider... the longer and harder, the better (we are talking cycling for those that have trashy thoughts)...

Him: Well we have a 25 miler that leaves the shop on Saturday... A good mix of riders...

Me: Anything longer on the weekends?

Him: There is also a 30 miler that goes off from the Sonic on Sunday...

Me: I saw on a blog that there was a ride that goes out of Palm Bay...

Him: Dude, are you a Cat 1? Those guys are wicked fast... and they go for 50-60 miles...

Me: No, I am not, but I might like to give that one a go... I mean, is the entire group nothing but Cat 1s?

Him: Look, man, those guys average over 30 miles an hour... let that one alone...

Me: Tell me where it is...

Him: Hey... Greg (I guess Greg is the other mechanic)... this guy on the phone is thinking he wants to go out with the Palm Bay guys...

Him (to me): Greg says that you do not want to go with those guys unless you are a Cat 1 racer... are you?

Me (reluctantly): No, but I am a 190 lb Cat 4 that does OK on hills and should be better in the flats...

Him: No, no, no... Cat 4? This is not the ride for you...

Me: Tell me where it starts...

Him: Palm Bay Hospital parking lot... at least you will be able to ask directions back... from the ambulance that picks you up...

The End...

OK... the guy was maybe not as witty as I made him out, but that play-by-play is pretty close. Needless to say, I can hardly wait until Saturday. I did intervals yesterday, but will take today off to prepare for tomorrow... no booze... no bad food...

I am racing tomorrow... and it will evidently be my first Cat 1 race...

1 comment:

Robert Jordan said...

Good luck, Grasshoppa. Don't hurt 'em too bad.