Thursday, June 12, 2008

So Many Thoughts... So little time...

Here is a quick run down of what is going on in my cycling world...
  • My new bike is up and running. It is fast, corners on rails (good for a guy with a broken hip), looks incredible, is lighter than my old bike, and is the first bike I have ever owned that I can really be proud of.
  • My current form makes me feel like I don't deserve the bike... but who does... besides Boonen and he is a coke-head...
  • My ergomo has come back with some weird readings since the switch to the new bike... I got a freaky high reading in the Union City race for one. We are talking 297 Watts for 3 hours with a 1 hour max of 325 Watts. This is not likely... actually it is impossible. I calibrated it right before that ride... it was only my second time on the bike.
  • My theory is that three things happened. 1) my leg got a lot better just prior to switching bikes. This makes a lot of sense if you look back through my blog... the first really good ride where my power came back was actually the day before I shot the albatross. 2) the ergomo BB must have "shifted" during the race and started measuring high. When I rode after that, I did a new offset and it has been correct since then. The offset is well stabilized and I think the numbers are more realistic. I will talk specifics on the numbers in the blog to follow. I did throw out that race from my data... surprisingly I hardly set any records with that race for my all time best power curve. I think I moved up my 1:30 a little and that was it... 3) I have been overcompensating with my left leg... yes, the bad leg. Maybe once it healed, I started using it more and have thrown my numbers off on the high side... long shot, but a theory all the same...
  • Back to the leg/hip... no pain... at all... none... I can do no movement that will cause me pain. There is occasional tightness when it rains... but it never rains so who cares. I am 100% and am no longer limited by my leg.
  • Regardless of my leg issues, I am not as fast as I was. I am guessing my new FTP to be around 302 Watts based on a few NP returns. At a fat arsed 187 lbs, I have some work to do to get back up to speed... such as lose 15 lbs and increase my FTP by 25 Watts or so...
  • I cut off my Euro Mullet. I was growing it in support of Christian's European Campaign and told him so. I wanted to take a picture of it... it was beautiful... like Iban Mayo's from a few years ago, but with less curl and looking very much like a coon pelt... it is gone now and I am slower for it...

Charts to follow...

No comments: